Bazi is a composition of “Heaven, Earth and Man”. It simply means that when we are born, we are destined to have a set of “eight characters” or 4 sets of character based on the year, month, day and time of birth.
It is also commonly known as the Four Pillars, as each Pillar consists of two characters. The top characters are the Heavenly Stem and the bottom characters are known as Earthly Branch. The Hidden Stems are part of the Earthly Branch and does not form one of the characters in the Bazi.
The Year we are born gave us a set of “Heavenly Stem-Earthly Branch” character. Our birth Month gave us another set, and so did the Day date and the Hour time. So all together, the four sets of pillars form the complete Bazi Chart.
Our destiny as well as all outcomes and events are influenced by the intereactions of Heaven, Earth and Man. In other words, your Bazi chart tells you about the social outcomes and behaviours obvious to others (Heaven), your feelings and what you are deep inside (Earth), and your hidden potentials or disasters (Man). This trinity plays an important role in determining:
1) Who we are: our talents, characters, strengths and weaknesses.
2) How we relate to others: our relationship with our spouse, family, bossess, colleagues, etc.
3) What opportunities are presented to us: the comfort we have at birth, family background, siblings, supporters, cycle of luck, etc.
4) Our life’s events and outcomes: marriages, career, health, etc.
5) How our children will be: closeness with our children, are they difficult to bring up, whether they will have a significant standing in society.
So all of us have our individual “Heaven, Earth and Man” determined at the time of our birth. Depending on your character, there is still a scope that can influence the outcome of your life. At the end of the day, within what is “given” to you at birth, you can still IMPROVE your life if you know yourself well. By understanding oneself, and identifying his strengths and weaknesses, a person is able to strategize and plan for his or her future.